10.20.2008

Political Blog????

Hmmm... So I had no intentions of this becoming a political blog, but perhaps I can direct this post to reflect more of the title my wife chose, one which I must and do agree, is a good one. So today I was listening to Les Newsom's RUF Ole Miss podcast, discussing the Fall of man and what it looks like in today's world, something Les is a master at doing. As he discussed the implications for men, it meant that our work would not be easy. That life would bring frustration and at times, would never be enough. Men will try to get more and have more, to find satisfaction, and it will never be enough. And for women, childbirth, as well as rearing, will be hard. This appears as women not only have difficulty in the birth of a child, but attempt to find security in "keeping the family unit together"- enmeshment as we MFTs like to call it. Les suggests, and I agree, that mothers go on living and making idols of their children, the lives they wish they could have again. So how does this relate to politics? Well, as I was reading some stories on Yahoo, I noticed a story discussing what "celebs" (ugh....that term makes me sick) endorsed what candidates. My question is "why do we care?" Well, it's simple. Idols. Politicians are idols as are celebrities. Celebrities take on rolls that inspire, that for men, show the man who does it all and has it all, and for the woman, the same. Hence, some have begun to actually hold these people in high esteem. Therefore, some care that Matt Damon supports Obama, or that whoever from that "show" the Hills supports John McCain. Then, somehow vicariously, those who idolize these celebrities then feel some sense of sameness, but with who? Perhaps a fictional character. Nonetheless, by supporting who their idol supports, there exists a feeling of rightness and fulfillment. America, WAKE UP! Just because someone is on TV doesn't mean they know anything about real life and politics. They are idols because they live in world that is fantasy, and so why don't we question their connectedness to real issues? Therefore, I suggest the best story, and perhaps with the best hero, is that of the Bible. I believe this is the best way, the way that taps into the reality of who we are in the world. However, the real question I pose is "do we make our political decisions based on a famous person's endorsement, or on our values?" Anyway, I hope this makes sense. I am le tired. PEace

1 comment:

The Shepards said...

I remember this sort of thing happening a few years ago with the Dixie Chicks. I think Natalie Maynes went off at a concert in Europe about how she was ashamed that The President is from Texas. Instantly, they were blackballed on country radio at the height of their career. And for what? Because they didn't align with the conservative fan base of country music? Apparently folks were offended, or something. Offended by comments that have little to no credibility behind them. Do any of these women even have a college education? We have no real evidence that their political opinion is any better founded than a senior in high school. But we do know that they can play music real well. Let's focus on what they can do and dismiss what they can't do. Play their music! I like their music.