9.25.2008

Time for a post

So we started this blog but we rarely post. The debate is tomorrow night and it appears to be full steam ahead. I often cringe now at the thought of politics. Why might you ask? Well, I was once heavily involved, working for campaigns and being a member of student government. However, after some time, I became quite disenfranchised with the entire process. Why? Well mainly because I saw little being done by politicians on either side other than working towards the next election. That aside, many follow the media blindly, reading what they want to read, hearing what they want to hear. It disturbs me greatly to watch as people walk blindly with hands on the shoulders of the media giants. I'll admit, the media is a powerful force and it cannot be done away with, nor should it. However, I believe it is important to look critically at what we are fed. I will watch the debate and I encourage others to do so as well. Take the time to form your own opinion. Do your country a favor and turn off the tube for the spin time following the debate, or take in the comments critically. On another note, I am not exactly fired up about either candidate. Do I think John McCain will continue the policies of George Bush? No. Does that make him a good choice? No. Do I think Obama will change current policy? Yes. Does that make him a good choice? No. I think overall I'm more disillusioned and disappointed that I have to pick one of the two, realistically. As crazy as it sounds, I kinda agree with Jesse "the Body" Ventura, that there should be a vote for no one, expressing that one chooses to go to the polls and participate in the system, but does not believe either candidate is a good choice. It is a sad day to me when many begin to evaluate their vote, or the small percentage of "undecided" folk out there, from the "lesser of two evils" perspective. More thoughts to come....

No comments: